I Am A Proud Member of Vets For Freedom

For up to date progress in the War In Iraq, please visit Vets For Freedom, an organization I am proud to be a member in good standing of.

Veteran's Suicide Hot Line Number!

1-800-273-TALK (8255) Call this number if you need help!!

A Vast Collection Of Buzzings At Memeorandum

If you wish to catch a buzz without the usual after affects, CLICK TO MEMEORANDUM. (It will not disturb the current page) That will be all. We now return to regular programming.

This Blog Is Moving

Greetings. After this weekend, this Take Our Country Back Blog will be moving to the new web site. Too many conservatives are getting zapped by the intolerant dweebs of the Obama Goons and seeing that this editing platform is a free site, Blogger can do pretty much what it feels like doing. Hence, I now have a paid site and will be migrating the last 1400+ posts shortly.

So, one day, you just may click this page somewhere and it will show up as "private". It has been fun but the intolerant Czarbie Goon Squads are brain dead idiots. They can come play at the new site which I OWN outright.

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Father's Day

Happy Father’s Day, Dad

Many moons ago, in one of the college classes I was in, the professor liked to spring pop-up essay writing from time to time. One particular time, he walked in late, slammed his stuff on the dais and said, “Everyone get some thoughts together about the most influential person in your life and write about it. Don’t go nuts. You have 15 minutes.”

This was mine.

A Person of Influence in My Life

This one person would have to be my father, believe it or not. From having three of my own sons alive and kicking today, I can and do appreciate the guidance that my father was giving me all of my life, unbeknownst to me. I also hope and pray that I am passing on these same influences to my own sons…one can only hope.

You see, as a lad and an adolescent, my father was the dumbest man alive. He knew nothing at all and had absolutely no idea or concept what I was going through. All during those years he would just smile, quote some scripture from time and time as well as some Mark Twain. I thought my father had gone insane. Yes, I got in trouble at times and was punished, as I should have been but, at the time, I was being abused…or so my story went. The abuse I was suffering from, looking back, was trying to point me in right and just directions. My father did not want me to go astray too far and come into the attention of cops and courts.

My father taught me common courtesy, a rather rare commodity these days. He taught me common sense, another rare commodity. He taught me to pay attention to “the still small voice” speaking to me. This he called the conscience and at times, God’s voice. I ignored that voice and every time, it resulted in a bad happenstance, eventually. I still listen to that voice, not as often as I should but I do hear it and I do heed the quiet advice.

My father also told me to harness the brain power that “the Lord has bestowed upon you”. I thought he was a loon! Later on in life, he was right…again. I have been given a gift and I use it most of the time.

He taught me that in all things, consider “the next fellow”. “How will what you are doing right now, in this instance, affect the next guy?” I often did not care and he said upon many occasions how wrong that comment was. Again, through the years, this bit of advice was proven true time and time again. I have tried and I keep trying to instruct my own sons in this same concept of caring for the next guy but, it seems to be falling on deaf ears. Alas, I can only hope and pray that one day, my sons, one by one, will come to realize the truth in that message. I must have driven my father nuts, as my sons drive me nuts now.

My father taught me honesty, integrity and pride. He taught me that in all things be honest. This he said builds integrity and people will be able to trust you in all things. “The worst that can happen to you in this life, on this planet, is to have people not be able to trust you.” How true that is and shall always be. Once the honesty and integrity has been established, the pride, a good pride and not a boastful pride, comes to life.

My father taught me loyalty and patriotism. My father taught me love of country. My father taught me love of God. He also taught me that we are all human and it will be impossible to become perfect yet, we can, in our frailties, strive to be perfect, knowing we will never get there but, trying even still.

My father taught me “others first, self second”. How rare this is indeed today. At times, it is lonely out there espousing these ideals and noble causes. Would not the world today be better off if there were less of the selfishness which is rampant? My father called it “the ME syndrome”. It is an ugly syndrome and I think there is no cure for it.

Yes, my father, as it turns out, has been the most influential person in my life. There have been others but, all in all, my own father takes first place.

Visitor Tracker